Elven World Starseeds

Soul Star Travelers, Elven World, Tuatha de Danann, EarthStar Nation

Lavender is a wonderful herb and a great garden plant, it has found its home in English country gardens but of course it came to us from the Mediterranean originally. 

There are many things you can do with Lavender apart from enjoying it in the garden: you can dry the flowers and make lavender bags, weave lavender wands or cook with it, making lavender cup cakes and yummy lavender shortbread.

Lavender Groups

There are quite a number but it’s a good idea to concentrate on the three main groups -

English Lavender:  Lavandula Angustifola

‘French’ Lavender: Lavandula Stoechas

Hybrid Lavenders: Lavandula Intermedia

Each group has its own different lavenders but there are some common threads.

English Lavender Lavandula angustifoila won’t get too big for your garden. On the whole these reach about 24” when flowering.  This group also has some smaller lavenders that are great for small gardens or pots.  They are all fully hardy and so won’t get damaged by the frost.  They are sun lovers and will enjoy a sunny spot in free- draining alkaline soil.  Early to mid-season, flowering June and July.  This group contains some garden classics like Hidcote, Munstead, Imperial Gem to name a few.

‘French’ Lavender Lavandula Stoechas. This is the lavender with ‘ears’ - little sterile bracts that pop up like rabbits’ ears.  They are very colourful and are grown commercially in Spain but for some reason we often call them ‘French lavenders’.  They are easy to grow and have a very long flowering period. In some seasons they can flower in May and if deadheaded will carry on flowering until mid-September.  One thing worth remembering is that they are not fully hardy, they will be all right to about -6 degrees C but will need shelter from hard frosts.  So choose a sheltered position in the garden for them. They are good value in pots because of the long flowering period. Varieties to look out for Papillon, Regal Splendour, Tiara.

Lavandula intermedia, hybrid lavenders. These lavenders are wonderfully fragrant big bold plants, they will get to about 36” tall and wide when flowering and are easy and quick to grow.  They too like a sunny position in free-draining soil.  A good addition to any garden as they flower slightly later than their English cousins in July and August. One of the best intermedia plants is Grosso.

How to care for your hardy lavender

Plant in a sunny position. Prepare the ground well. Weed control and drainage are vital to the success of your planting.

If the soil is heavy add grit to the hole before planting to improve drainage.

To plant lavender dig a hole twice the size of your pot.  

Ensure that the plant is well watered before planting and water the hole in the ground.  Then back fill the hole with soil.
You may add a sprinkling of bone meal to the hole and mix it in the soil, before you plant.  After planting keep an eye on your plants for the first few weeks; if it is very dry you may need to water your plants while they get established.

Soil type: Lavender likes neutral to alkaline soil, so if your soil is acid add garden lime in the spring to raise the ph.

Fertiliser is not essential but a general potash to aid flowering applied during the growing season will be beneficial.

Prune hardy lavender after flowering to keep the plants shape and stop them becoming woody.  Prune your lavender as soon as it has finished flowering. Cut back by about two thirds leaving one or two good green leaf shoots below where you cut. Your lavender will soon recover and leaf up to leave a green leafy dome overwinter. Ensure that small plants are also pruned each season to maintain shape.

How to care for your stoechas lavender (often called butterfly or French lavender)

These plants do very well in pots and have a very long flowering season.  They may be deadheaded unlike hardy lavender.

Hardy to -5 degrees C they need a sunny sheltered position in the garden.

All other instructions are the same as hardy lavender: see other side of the sheet.

Tip: If your lavender is still flowering at the end of September cut it back anyway to prevent it from becoming woody.

If growing lavender in pots choose a sheltered, airy position in winter; water the compost only when it is quite dry.

Planting Distances

English Lavenders Lavandula  Angustifolia: plant 12 to 15 inches apart to form a hedge.

Intermedia Hybrid Lavenders 15 to 18  inches apart to form a hedge.

What are the health claims for Lavender ?

• Helps you relax and get rid of anxiety and tension
  • Promotes peaceful sleep
  • Gives relief to sunburnt skin
  • Can be used as a natural antiseptic for minor cuts
  • Soothes mild stomach upsets
  • Helps get rid of dandruff and promotes healthy shiny hair

Tea

Place 3 tablespoons of fresh Lavender flowers or 1 1/2 tablespoons of dried into a small teapot. Add 2 cups of boiling water and allow to steep for at least 4 to 5 minutes.  Strain if necessary and serve with honey and/or sliced lemon. 
I like to double the recipe and make it in an infusion teapot   (available on Amazon) but you can just as well use a regular teapot and a strainer.  It's also very nice over ice on a hot day.
(recipe from everything-lavender.com)
Cream

Ingredients :
- 1/4 cup Shea butter (or try coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup Aloe Vera Gel
- 1 tablespoon Vitamin E oil (you can break open some gel caps if need be)
- 1/2 tablespoon Lavender Essential Oil
You can get these ingredients in most health food stores and some drugstores
Instructions :
- Melt the butter or coconut oil in a microwave.
- Stir in all the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Allow to cool slightly.  Once the mixture begins to set, stir with a whisk or emersion blender to help avoid any separation. (It should look like whipped icing at this point.)
- Pour into a wide mouthed 8 oz jar (or several empty face cream jars) and leave to cool completely, then replace the lid.
Delete

Lavender ~ As time passes

how light plays upon lavender

casting that pure pinky glow

the sun casts the shadows, depending

whether it's high or it's low

our rhythms and moods are like lavender

like the sun that brings on the rain

pure and scented for one day

downcast with clouds or with pain

we know that each day changes us

moods are like the weather inside

blustery, cheerful or solemn

playful, graceful or kind

one of my favourite flowers

it functions like magic in my soul

lavender's moods are fleeting

fulfilling the recipes of old

~0~

Tai

Jan 2015

French lavender....this type of lavender is frost sensitive, beautiful flower but may need to be taken to a cool room indoors during the coldest part of the winter.

I used to grow this kind of lavender but it wasn't hardy in the area where I live in England.

"There is something divinely powerful about it's flowers"....lavender is excellent, it is the probably the most widely used essential oil and one I use most frequently as I love the aroma. It's great to put on neat behind the ears for first signs of a cold/earache.

I grow lavender and bring the stems indoors, sometimes adding them to a vase with roses  and if the weather is dry I cut the stems and hang them in bunches to dry then add the dried flowers to my wooden box with crystals for cleansing purposes.

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, beloved Julie, beautiful lavender :o)))

https://youtube.com/shorts/CtImZRGCH4M?si=j1fKBWjKq4KY-V2B

RSS

Multi Dimensional Reality

The world as you know it - all that you see, taste, feel and touch, comprises only about 5% of all of the stuff of the universe. The other 95% is what we have considered "nothing" or the "firmament"  or dark matter or the heavens or mystic Other Worlds. This 95% is multi-dimensional and consists of potential realities that may be perceived.

A single thought...a mere whisper, ...... barely upon a breeze that catches a spark... all is tinder before the firestorm... and yet.
ONLY that whisper
ONLY that thought
 the world is forever changed beyond the fears and dreams of cardboard men.
Freedom and change starts within:
It is encouraged by truth and courage of people who love
Built by the respect of true beings standing as one before each other.
Lets us cross every man made borders
without fear stare into eyes and hearts of all our brothers and sisters: within our words without shouting,or force to hold each to our truths; and let us without fear freely share what works...

Written By Ꮙℓἇ∂ἇ.

©All Right Reserved

Latest Activity

Ametrine -(MHZ) replied to Julie's discussion Lavender in the group Green Thumb Gardeners
"Thank you, beloved Julie, beautiful lavender :o)))  https://youtube.com/shorts/CtImZRGCH4M?si=j1fKBWjKq4KY-V2B"
4 hours ago
Ametrine -(MHZ) liked Julie's discussion Lavender
4 hours ago
Steven Hutchinson posted a discussion

Divine Abundance Manifesting For You By Steven Hutchinson

Divine Abundance Manifesting For You By Steven Hutchinson...I Am the my Divine Presence merged with Father/Mother/God & God's GreatCompassionate Light in action manifesting financial wealth in my life now!...I Am the Universe meeting all of my needs here and now,...I Am abundant supply delivered all my life....I Am the divine resurrection of my life and my…See More
5 hours ago
RichardtheRaelian left a comment for Michelle Chan
""Happy Birthday!""
7 hours ago
Julie added a discussion to the group Green Thumb Gardeners
Thumbnail

Lavender

Lavender is a wonderful herb and a great garden plant, it has found its home in English country gardens but of course it came to us from the Mediterranean originally. There are many things you can do with Lavender apart from enjoying it in the garden: you can dry the flowers and make lavender bags, weave lavender wands or cook with it, making lavender cup cakes and yummy lavender…See More
12 hours ago
Julie commented on Julie's video
Thumbnail

Peaceful Conscious Breathing

"blessings of enjoyment Tara, thanks for your comment"
Tuesday
ënagualí~ᏉLAᗪἇ ኔጡ። commented on Tara's blog post ETs and earth changes, how are you?
"Yes of course we are enjoying creating in the ethereal realms, but we are also unaware we can also bring back our creations into this realm of reality...some are learning though.. The experience of meeting something as a truly ancient ET, old as…"
Monday
Tara commented on Tara's blog post ETs and earth changes, how are you?
"Yes, we are making art all the time.  Art in a museum is strange to me but art in life - life as art, the dance of life. Absolutely amazing.  Even the dramatic traumatic moments but it’s easier to connect to the beautiful ones.…"
Monday

© 2024   Created by Tara.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service